cultural heritage

Presentation and research at the Kizhi Museum
19 Jun 2012 - 22 Jun 2012
kizhi euroaxaca performing pictures
EITC project coordinator Geska presented Performing Pictures' work with venerative artifacts at the XVI Annual International Scientific-Practical Conference ADIT-2012 “Cultural Heritage and Information Technologies” in The Republic of Karelia.

The annual conference has been held since 1997 and is one of the key All-Russian activities on promotion of information technologies among museums and other cultural institutions that facilitates the development of museums and exchange of regional experience. The conference was organized by the Kizhi State Open Air Museum, which arranged a day long visit to the museum, which started functioning on the island of Kizhi in 1951 and currently contains about 87 wooden constructions.

The most famous of them is the Kizhi Pogost, which contains two churches and a bell-tower surrounded by a fence. Since 1951, a large number of historical buildings were moved to the island. They include the Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus from Murom Monastery, which is regarded as the oldest remaining wooden church in Russia (second half of 14 century), several bell-towers, more than 20 peasant houses, mills, barns and saunas.

There are about 1000 icons of 16–19 centuries which includes the only in Russia collection of "heavens". There are also church items, such as crosses early manuscript of 17–19 centuries.

Image: The Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus

Tradition says that the church was built by the monk Lazarus in the second half of the 14th century. The church became the first building of the future Murom Monastery located on the eastern shore of Lake Onega. Over time, the church became the main attraction of the monastery as it was reputed to miraculously cure illnesses. The clergy announced the monk Lazarus as a local saint, and every summer, on 23–24 June, the church was attracting pilgrims. The building is 3 meters tall and has a perimeter of 9×3 m. The original two-tier iconostasis of the church is preserved; it consists of 17 icons of 16–18th centuries.


Syndicate content